Cultural Protection Officer
The Arkansas Museum of Fine Arts (AMFA) is currently seeking dependable security professionals with visitor service skills and a strong sense of integrity to advance the institution during a transformative era that includes the grand opening of a new state-of-the-art facility scheduled to open in the Spring of 2023.
Reporting to the Lead Cultural Protection Officer with oversight by the Security Manager and the Director of Facilities and Security, the Cultural Protection Officer plays the critical role of maintaining order, reducing injury, and reducing property loss at the Museum. In addition, the Cultural Protection Officer provides routine protection of galleries and visitors by making continuous rounds throughout the Museum and assisting and informing visitors.
They will have direct supervision of Security Officers. They provide for the safety and security of the museum buildings, contents, grounds, guests and employees. Daily security assignments will vary but all will require a high level of awareness, diligence, and customer service.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Present a welcoming demeanor to all guests and provide appropriate information as necessary to all who enter assigned area
- Remain up to date with information regarding the Museum’s policies, promotions, activities, programs, and events to provide a high level of customer service
- Be familiar with the Museum’s buildings, grounds, and community to provide appropriate information and direction to guests
- Circulate frequently through scheduled posts (inside and outside) to deter acts of vandalism, theft or negligence and ensure the safety of guests; remain alert and watchful at all times
- Provide protection for the museum and the premises from criminal activity, fire, and safety hazards in public and non-public spaces during operational hours, special events, and holidays
- Regulates traffic flow through galleries to ensure smooth operation of daily activities, special events, and receptions (may be required to work events)
- Provide first-aid or CPR when necessary and assist guests and staff during emergency situations
- Identify suspicious conditions or persons; provide descriptions of violators of Museum policies; report accidents, injuries and/or hazardous conditions
- Prepare detailed formal and informal incident reports for all emergencies, serious incidents, or issues
- Performs other duties as assigned
- High School graduate or equivalent at minimum
- Minimum of 1 years related experience and/or training in a customer service-oriented field
- Previous security experience in a public environment preferred
- Clear and effective writing and verbal communication skills
- The ability to clearly speak and understand the English language. (bi-lingual a plus)
- Observant and friendly with logical reasoning skills
- Strong instinct to tell when something is wrong or about to go wrong
- Dependability, flexibility, and adaptability in a dynamic event-driven environment
- Basic computer skills are necessary (email, word-processing)
- Committed to regular, predictable attendance
- Must be available to work weekends, evenings, holidays, and be on call for emergencies and critical events
- Must pass a background check and have proof of eligibility to work in the United States
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Physical demands: This position requires prolonged periods of standing, walking, and climbing stairs, bending, and stretching, and physical stamina to lift a minimum of twenty-five pounds unassisted. Ability to stand and walk for a minimum of two hours without a break. Sitting or leaning while on post will not be permitted.
- Visual demands:Visual acuity to review written materials, observe large crowds and provide detailed descriptions is required for this job. Attention to detail is necessary.
- Work Environment: Work will be performed in spaces, and grounds. Additionally, effective communication skills and ability to interact politely and effectively with a wide range of members, guests, volunteers, and staff. Communications devices (Radios with earpiece) will be utilized while on post.
- Exposure: Position requires individuals to work in spaces that may have noise levels up to eighty-five decibels. Patrol duties will include interior and exterior responsibilities in all seasons (i.e., Rain, sleet, snow, heat.)