Assistant Security Manager
The Arkansas Museum of Fine Arts (AMFA) is currently seeking dependable security professionals with visitor service skills and a strong sense of integrity to advance the institution during a transformative era that includes the grand opening of a new state-of-the-art facility scheduled to open in the Spring of 2023.
Reporting to the Security Manager with oversight by the Director of Facilities and Security, the Assistant Security Manager plays the critical role of maintaining order, reducing injury, and reducing property loss at the Museum. In addition, the Assistant Security Manager provides routine protection of galleries and visitors by making continuous rounds throughout the Museum and assisting and informing visitors.
They will have administrative duties and direct supervision of Security Officers. They provide for the safety and security of the museum buildings, contents, grounds, guests and employees. Daily security assignments will vary but all will require a high level of awareness, diligence, and customer service.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Present a warm and welcoming demeanor to all guests and provide appropriate information as necessary to all who enter assigned areas
- Conduct roving patrols and circulate frequently both inside and outside to prevent acts of vandalism, theft, or negligence
- Serve as the primary incident contact and provide support for law enforcement agencies in the absence of the Director of Facilities and Security and Security Manager and react calmly in escalated situations
- Assist with the development, implementation, and maintenance of security procedures, manuals, records, and documentation
- Perform administrative and operational duties of planning, scheduling, organizing, directing work, and training security personnel, and respond to email and telephone communications
- Actively engage with the public with courtesy and respect, regulate traffic flow, and serve as or provide an escort for approved guests to non-public spaces during and after normal working hours
- Understand operation of and confirm adequate working inventory of all security and emergency response-related equipment including access control, radios, CCTV surveillance cameras, digital video recorders, photo badges, emergency notification lights and alarms, fire extinguishers, and first-aid stations
- Provide first-aid or CPR when necessary and assist guests and staff during emergency situations
- Supervise security personnel, participate in the recruitment and dismissal processes, and identify personnel for training opportunities and those requiring corrective action
- Provide direction to contract and internal security staff
- Performs other duties as assigned
- High School graduate or equivalent at minimum; at least a 2-year degree preferred
- Minimum of 3 years related experience and/or training in a customer service-oriented field
- Previous security experience in a public environment preferred
- Clear and effective writing and verbal communication skills
- The ability to clearly speak and understand the English language. (bi-lingual a plus)
- Observant and friendly with logical reasoning skills
- Strong instinct to tell when something is wrong or about to go wrong
- Dependability, flexibility, and adaptability in a dynamic event-driven environment
- Intermediate computer skills are necessary
- Committed to regular, predictable attendance
- Must be available to work weekends, evenings, holidays, and be on call for emergencies and critical events
- Must pass a background check and have proof of eligibility to work in the United States
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Physical demands: This position requires prolonged periods of standing, walking, and climbing stairs, bending, and stretching, and physical stamina to lift a minimum of twenty-five pounds unassisted. Ability to stand and walk for a minimum of two hours without a break. Sitting or leaning while on post will not be permitted.
- Visual demands:Visual acuity to review written materials, observe large crowds and provide detailed descriptions is required for this job. Attention to detail is necessary.
- Work Environment: Work will be performed in spaces, and grounds. Additionally, effective communication skills and ability to interact politely and effectively with a wide range of members, guests, volunteers, and staff. Communications devices (Radios with earpiece) will be utilized while on post.
- Exposure: Position requires individuals to work in spaces that may have noise levels up to eighty-five decibels. Patrol duties will include interior and exterior responsibilities in all seasons (i.e., Rain, sleet, snow, heat.)